Monday, January 21, 2013

like sleeves II

Otherwise known as the knit that saved my sanity.

While bushfires were raging, while I worried about Daniel, while I worried about our house and our community, I knitted. While I sat glued to the news, while I waited for the phone to ring, I knitted.

I had really never experienced the truly therapeutic aspect of knitting as I did then. Because it really did help to pour all that nervous energy into something I made with my hands. Three days from start to finish, which says something for nervous energy, as I never have managed any knitted project quite so quickly before. Perhaps it suffered a little for it, as the seaming is a little rough and the neckline far from perfect. But it is what it is, and I have a feeling it will get plenty of use as soon as the weather cools down.




This is the second time I have made the Like Sleeves pattern. I made the first way back here, and it has been a wardrobe favourite ever since. So I made the size 3-4 this time, as the original one was getting a little short, though we may be able to squeeze another season out of it.

The wool is a Moda Vera one from Spotlight quite some time ago. Though I think I will be strictly handwashing this one, as the my last one made with this wool pilled quite a bit, though I did use the gentle wool cycle. Yes, I know I should handwash more.




I really do like this pattern, both the simplicity of it and the little design details such as the line of small gathers in the front and back. I like how it can be worn alone in fresher warmish days, or layered over long sleeves to keep the body warm. Yes, I do like the like sleeves.




Did I mention how hard it is to photograph a run-away two year old in a dimly lit room?



Raveled here
Pants are from the Big Butt Baby Pants pattern from Made by Rae




18 comments:

  1. Gosh I love your terrazzo flooring...I grew up with that cool ( as in temperature) flooring....and each time I visit my in laws home, I marvel at the beautiful mermaid, yes mermaid that they have in their bathroom floor...my husband and I spend time wondering how we can get her 'out of the floor' when his father's home eventually gets sold...she has long flowing hair that she is holding up over her head, with strands that help cover her boobies, and all different colours...just amazing....I think my husbands father my just have been a bit of a romantic underneath that gruff Italian exterior...to this day I have never walked on her, I dodge and walk on the side...sorry, totally off the subject of your beautiful knitting and the worry of the fires and your family...so glad you are home now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can certainly testify to knitting being great at keeping one distracted. It's gotten me through deaths of loved ones, months spent in hospital and pnd.
    I adore that colour on Violet and the knit is lovely.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would have be nice to have something productive to do, keeping your hands and your mind while things were worrying for you. You've done a beautiful job Tania. Cute photos of Violet too, love the giggling photo. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous colour Tania, I bet this colour on Violet will make her eyes look even more amazing xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous colour, it really suits your daughter-i like how it could start life as a dress and later become a top. Love those cap sleeves. Good on you for finding a silver lining to a stressful time x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that is absolutely gorgeous Tania and such a pretty blue! I can see why it would have helped to keep you busy!
    But who is that big grwon up girl in the pics???My time flies doesn't it...how do they grow so quickly on us?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like Sleeves was the first pattern I knitted up when I came back to knitting after a 12 year hiatus. I am so very fond of it and I love your colour choice. yeah, I'm not overly keen on moda vera anymore after seeing some of my gifted hats go quite pilly (I was a tad embarrassed!) but you are right, I am sure with a little more tlc it can hold up ok. I find knitting a lifesaver for burning up nervous energy so I can totally relate. I am glad to hear that you came out from the recent bush fires unscathed. And as to your photography of a rapid moving subject, you do amazingly for keeping her in focus. Despite using the sports mode on my camera, my two boys are often just blurs. blessings, Fi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well that nervous energy was certainly put to good use! It's gorgeous Tania...such a sweet colour and beatifully made. I like to keep busy too when feeling a little anxious...helps fool the mind! And that pattern really does make me want to learn to knit! have wonderful week xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a cute pattern and you've knitted it up beautifully. Love the colour.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fantastic job you have done! I wonder if there's an adult version?

    ReplyDelete
  11. The colour is lovely. and suits Violet perfectly.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know what you mean, sometimes when times are stressful, I have found the rhythm and focus of knitting to be very soothing.

    Lovely top, and the colour really suits Violet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tania it looks so beautiful on Violet. I'm sure I've said it before, but I wish you could give me a knitting lesson. Something like this is perfect for those in betweeny seasons.
    I hope there are no more fire scares for you. So damn scary.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just Beautiful! Glad you are all well and survived the hot weather. Blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is gorgeous Tania! I love the little sleeves and I can't believe you knitted that up in 3 days. I'm currently knitting a cardi for my eldest (8) so it's the biggest thing I've ever knitted and I think I'll be on it all year. I have become quite addicted to knitting though and relate to it being very therapeutic. If I can't do even a few rows in the evening I get a bit cranky - it's pretty much the only thing that stills my mind after my busy days with the kids xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just look at how much her hair has grown from the first like sleaves to the next!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Way to channel that energy into something productive! It looks great! Three days...that's darn fast knitting!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. If you have any questions please check back later as I will do my best to answer any within the comments section.