I think it was the pieces of lace and velvet ribbon that hatched the idea for these little winter skirts. A recent op shop visit had revealed a rather large stash of old cottons and haberdashery pieces, and so of course I had to come home with some (but not all, I am slowly teaching myself to share the op shop love around).
Sometimes the most enjoyable projects are centred around the smallest of details, and I think that was the case here.
A rummage through the stash of fabrics I had revealed a possibly suitable fabric, a vintage plaid, a mixture of which I believe to be wool and cotton. It was just a touch too thin for our cold wintery conditions, and I really did want this to be a winter skirt. I luckily found a complementary cotton print, an Anna Maria Horner one that I had been waiting to use for the right time. I used this as the underskirt.
It all sewed up quite quickly with the two pieces of skirt being attached within the elastic casing. Carefully pinning this part was a must. I used one selvedge piece for Violet's skirt, while Julia's was about one and a half pieces. I originally used two selvedge pieces for Julia's, but I had to change that because it became way too thick and bunched up. So there was some unpicking and cutting involved.
But all is well that ends well, and I think the girls are both happy to have matching little skirts for winter. I was never one much for the matching thing, but it is sweet to see every now and then, and certainly one that the girls seem to enjoy, for now, anyway.