Wednesday, April 2, 2014

from the mending basket






 I hadn't really felt much like sewing over Summer. A few halfhearted attempts ended in a couple of disasters, so I thought it better not to try to push it while my heart wasn't in it. I knew that eventually I would feel like sewing again, that the interest and enjoyment I once felt would return. It always does eventually, doesn't it? As Summer turned into Autumn and life calmed down somewhat, I did feel that pull to get back to the sewing machine.

The biggest hurdle was that darn mending basket sitting at the entrance of my bedroom as a glaring daily reminder. So one rainy day I tackled it. It took about 3 days on and off, and then it was done. Not so hard afterall, but the seemingly unsurmountable sewing hurdle has been accomplished.




After the usual sock and tiny hole t-shirt mending (what is with t-shirts these days?), there were a few patches  (you might recognize the fabric from here) to sew on some jeans for Violet, an adult dress and skirt to convert into skirts for Violet, and a dress for myself to take in. I couldn't resist the $5 dress sale at the local op shop and I had a feeling this dress would be easy to take in. I don't know about you, but I just can't pass up a good floral. With no zipper, and only the bodice being lined, it was thankfully quite easy to take in. But I'm still wondering if I can get away with a dress that short.




My quilt had long been waiting for some kind of closure. Poor thing had been sitting in the mending basket for some time. Me being the lazy sewer that I am, popped a few lace ties on, rather than time consuming buttonholes. As I hadn't had it on the bed for so long, it feels like a new quilt again.




I also came a across a whole bundle of half finished dish drainer towels (last batch seen here). I'd started them about 6 months ago and I had wondered if they would ever get finished. I had roughly put together some vintage tea towels backed with old towels. Isn't it funny the drama you can have with the simplest of things? I guess that's what happens when you don't measure properly and try to skip the pins. The first one I finished I had to unpick an entire row and broke two needles. Not fun. But after that things went pretty smoothly and I finished them before school pick-up.







My mental sewing space now appears to be cleared and I feel ready to move ahead with some bigger and better (hopefully) projects.


Does this happen to you? Do you too suffer from mending basket/unfinished project guilt?


What projects are you working on?

Or have you been taking a break too?

15 comments:

  1. yes, I know how hard it is to get motivated sometimes. I found it was always easier when you had someone doing something similar alongside you. You don't notice that anything is a chore when you have someone to chat to as you're working. Gardening has been the hardest thing for me to get stuck into of late, and I know I have to tackle it soon-before the winter sets in again. Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tend to ignore the mending for weeks and then go at it on a whim--like a rainy day! I find it pretty satisfying work as I can get so much finished in a day in a way that I cannot with a start-to-finish sewing project. That said, I just finished a dress in record time for me--cut out to finish in under a week. But, while wearing it today I realized that I made it a little too big and need to take it in. That should be easy enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been feeling like that about everything!
    I would really love to make a simple quilt but my machine is playing up...and I am unable to have it looked at blah blah!

    I assume my energy will return at some stage too...

    ReplyDelete
  4. For me it is my art projects and I wonder why I put them off. I so envy your ability to sew and mend. The sewing gene has truly eluded me .

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a top that I've been making for a few weeks. I thought I'd have it finished by now. I'm finding it hard to get to during the week as I homeschool my boys. I'm doing bits and pieces on the weekends. It is still too hot to wear it anyway, so I guess that's ok, but I do feel guilty. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes the dreaded lull...but I find that once I finally put my mind to start again I get into a flurry of activity and finish a few in a row. My word for the year is 'finishing' so I am making a real effort to finish work in progress things first before starting a new project. It's not easy to do and it takes discipline, but the satisfaction from finishing something that's been staring at me for months is a great feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  7. drainer towels!
    What a gorgeous way to meet a practical need. you always amaze me xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful work~ Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The mending/half finished project pile can get me a bit overwhelmed at times. I have to wait for that burst of motivation to get stuck into it.
    I always look forward to reading your posts Tania. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. The dishrack towels are so beautiful and look quite absorbent too. There's something quite therapeutic about mending isn't there. My old machine is always breaking down and it's hard to find old singer parts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How cool are your drip towel thingys for the washing up? That is a really great idea, Tania. Love your seewing projects and LOVE that quilt. I'm not a sewer so I don't have a mending pile but I definitely have lists of things I need to finish - like painting my verandah, that I keep putting off and which give me headaches thinking about. It always feels soooo good when you just get in and do it, doesn't it? x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree, it does become a barrier, my material cupboard has been like that and this week I started to clean it up. Not finished yet but I have put a deadline on myself. I love when you do get around to it, a great deal of satisfaction, it is worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello!

    I am new to your blog, BLD in MT mentioned you :) Do you have an 'about me' type post I can read to learn more about you?

    TLC
    http://makingcentsofitall.net/

    ReplyDelete
  14. I miss your posts - you have one of the best blogs going. xx Creative, inspiring and authentic.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi TLC, Please try the 'our story' link on the right hand side under labels. Welcome to my blog :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. If you have any questions please check back later as I will do my best to answer any within the comments section.