Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Old school cookbooks and a biscuit recipe

I love new, glossy, beautifully photographed cookbooks. They are a joy to flick through and  I dream of cooking up the recipes inside. But, the trouble is, unless I make a list of long ingredients and go shopping, I don't end up making these recipes.
Living out of town, a quick trip to the shops just isn't going to happen. So I usually end up turning to those older, plainer types of cookbooks. Two that I own were ones my mother also owned - Women's Weekly Original Cookbook by Ellen Sinclair and The Commonsense Cookery Book. I also quite like the original Margaret Fulton cookbook. There is a newer revised edition, which I haven't checked out. The CWA cookbooks are also a classic, but I don't own one.
What I like about them is that you are quite likely to have the ingredients on hand for a lot of the recipes. Good, old fashioned cooking. You can even sneak some wholemeal flour into the recipes.
Here is a biscuit recipe that is lovely for an occasional treat. I first started making these when I was 14, and often make them for the kid's. From Ellen Sinclair's Women's Weekly cookbook.

Butter Coconut Crisps

125g butter
1 1/4 cups self raising flour ( I usually mix plain flour with baking powder)
1 cup sugar
1 egg

Melt butter. Sift flour and sugar into bow, add beaten egg and melted butter, mix thoroughly. Form into small balls the size of a walnut, roll in coconut, and place on greased trays, allowing room to spread. Bake in moderate oven 10 to 15 minutes.


My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

love old cookbooks too...the biscuits look great

Becky said...

I ADORE my old cookbooks and pick one or two up at antique malls about once a year. I love the "plain ingredients" recipes.

Tammi said...

There is nothing quite like good old fashioned recipes :)
Will get my homeschooler to try this recipe for baking today.

Catherine said...

I love recipes like this one simple, old fashion and always turn out. I always have those ingredients and I don't buy SR flour either and always make mine with baking powder. Fancy recipes are nice for a treat but not always practical. Thanks for the recipe I'll give these a try for sure. xo

P.S. The Martha Goes Green is a lovely cookbook, it's got sweets in it too and tried the vanilla cupcakes which came up a treat and it's Australian which I love too.:)

Stacey said...

Giving this recipe a go tomorrow for a picnic playdate! Really excited!
xx Stacey