Tuesday, October 25, 2011

baby sewing

 During the past month I managed to whip up a few little items for Violet. I think it's no secret that I  just love baby sewing. It's generally quick, easy, requires little fabric and they wear whatever you put them in without complaining! Baby clothes also lend themselves perfectly to repurposing unwanted adult sized clothing.


I picked up an adult sized t-shirt on the one dollar rack in the op shop to make some pants for Violet. It is very hard to pick up baby pants in the op shop that actually fit over a cloth sized nappy. Also hard to pick up one that is not covered with baby print or brand names. Problem solved with a printed tee, cut into two pattern pieces (roughly based on the pants pattern in Simple Sewing for Baby but with a more tapered leg) and using the original tee shirt cover stitch hem for the hem of the pants.


Another adult top (also from that dollar rack) made up another pair of leggings which I added a few felted hearts to.
The top was originally a bodysuit that had been outgrown. So I chopped off the bottom and hemmed it. I used some scrap fabric to make a flower of sorts (I need to twist a little looser next time).


This last project was quickly whipped up before camping to tote around a few of Violet's toys. I used the instructions from Weekend Sewing, and I'm sure there are many similar tutorials online. It is a Japanese print that I picked up on sale awhile ago. It is not only handy for going away, but also handy to stash a few toys out in the lounge room.

Sadly my sewing machine is out of action again. Previously I was waiting for a bobbin case replacement, which seemed to work for a few weeks. But now it seems the problem goes deeper than that. Of course this all happened 17 days out of my warranty. So after much online research, price shopping and some negotiation I am happy to say a new but better quality machine is on it's way. And now no more spending for me for a couple of months!

14 comments:

  1. So gorgeous! Great idea using clothing to make baby things! I love the little rose on the top, very cute. And I know what you mean about pants fitting over cloth nappies! Hope you get your machine back soon, I couldn't live without mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. gosh tania. you are so clever and those clothes are really adorable. i love stripy pants!! and with those little hearts. xo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you make the most beautiful things, loving the pants

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the pants....i figured out when i first began sewing for my girls that i needed to make my own pants to fit their cloth bums! Never had that problem 15 yrs ago with my now eldest...didn't realise everything is made to fit disposable bottoms now!
    I think your rose looks great...did you just hand sew it on?
    Great idea using the adult clothing, i hadn't thought of that. Enjoy your new machine!
    Jode x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the little stripey pants! The little top with the flowers is so sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love the green pants! I have trouble with my older girls clothing aswell. Miss 7 (aka Dirtgirl) is a tomboy of sorts and is very unhappy to wear clothes with look girly or boyish!! Happiest in tracky pants that are too small and her fav t shirt with a dog on it, so my mission is to make her some nicer clothes she is happy with. Miss 8 (nutty middle child) loves girly stuff but I cannot bear to see her in the tarty stuff thats in shops these days, so we make her funky yet not tarty clothes! But its a fun adventure to try and find it all and bring it together. Does your lad wear homemade? Mine is 11, I dont wish to socially embarrass him with his mamas home made clothes ;) LOL

    Happy Days!!

    Jacq

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been indulging in quite a bit of baby sewing lately too...can't help myself when friends are having babies.
    How times have changed...years ago when my oldest two were babes all pants were made to accomodate cloth naps. Yours are much cuter though and even better that you have upcycled!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're so clever Tania. I wish my 2 would wear the things I sew them. They are a bit more particular than Violet I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are such a savvy repurposer. Love your bird cushion too. And very excited for you about the new machine, I nearly fell over and died when i worked out that mine has a thingy that threads the needle for you. Amazing. melx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Tania. I was really pleased to see this post when I visited today. Sunny and Kerry are stayed overnight and I offered to make a few things for Jamie. Sunny wasn't sure what I meant, so we visited here and Soule Mama. Now she's really eager. Thanks for sharing your great photos and ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hear you on the pants and cloth bum thing - if only I could sew.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those pants are quite adorable!! My little baby is a boy, but perhaps I could adapt your idea and embellish a little pair of overalls. Very Cute.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those pants are awesome and just the sort of thing I need to start sewing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. If you have any questions please check back later as I will do my best to answer any within the comments section.