Wednesday, October 19, 2011

granola

One of our favourite family breakfasts is Granola muesli. There was once a time (pre-third baby) that I had a jar filled with it at all times. But, sad to say I don't make it as often as I used to. I made a batch on the weekend and it reminded me that I really should make it more often. It really is delicious.  Originally from this book.


Here is the recipe

Granola muesli

1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup honey
400g rolled oats
100g mixed nuts, seeds or similar (I use anything we have in the pantry - coconut, sesame seeds, pecans, almonds and sunflower seeds are our favourites)


Preheat oven 180 degrees celsius.


Heat a roasting pan in the oven for a few minutes, then add the olive oil and honey. Stir to combine.



Add the oats and nuts and stir to combine well.



Transfer to oven and bake until golden brown or as desired.

Luca likes his just golden whereas Daniel likes his almost burnt.


Remove from oven and leave to cool a little before transferring to an airtight container.

I like to use a large glass canister for storing ours.



Enjoy with milk or you can also add a to yoghurt and fresh or stewed fruit.

15 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy! I have rolled oats and fruit for breakfast but this sounds like something I just have to try! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tania - I think I'll give this a go - it's getting harder to entice my teenage son (and soon to be teenager daughter) to eat wholesome foods for breakfast. This might just do the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just polished off the last of some bulk granola and thought "I should really learn how to make this myself sometime." So, thanks, maybe now I really will! It look so easy I'd be a fool not to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Granola, Tania, but have never made it with oats. I'll give that a go soon. My recipe uses sprouted buckwheat kernels (wonderful for gluten free family members), and I've shared it on my blog.
    http://www.elefantz.com/2011/07/happy-winters-day.html
    I really enjoy your blog!
    Hugs
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  5. god...that looks so good. i love muesli. i remember my nan feeding it to me when i was very young and i haven't stopped eating it since. this recipe is great! xo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Would you believe I have a post drafted with this very same dish? It's a favourite brekky here too but I forgot to take photos the last time I made it so am waiting for the next batch :)
    My recipe differs from yours slightly

    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't commented before....never seem to have the twins asleep for long enough, lol but wanted to say thanks for posting the recipe, just at the right time for me as my teenager has been wanting to make some for herself!
    Also loved your softies post, very inspiring that they put such effort into those wonderful creations!
    Jode x

    ReplyDelete
  8. My recipe is very similar and Mmm I love it! We like cranberries and pumpkin seeds in ours. I love mine with passionfruit yougurt in the fridge over night...mmmmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! I'm just new to reading your blog and I love the ideas you share! Beautiful photography also :) Thanks for this recipe. I've had all the ingredients in the cupboard for a while, waiting for me to get motivated. I think this might just do it :) Thanks! Have a great week there x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum, how long does it last in the jar without going soft (I have one very pernickity breakfast eater - will it a huge breakfast but he tires of the same thing too often...) aaagh.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing this recipe Tania! I have tried to make granola a few times but have never really had it nailed. I've never seen a recipe with olive oil before... looking forward to giving this a go... maybe tomorrow! It's getting to the time when we put the porridge away for the summer season!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks yummy.I have always wanted to try something like this for myself so I might give this a try, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks excellent - thank you for this.
    My wife made some wonderful cookies the other day with chocolate cake mix and chocolate chips (we weren't sure if they were going to turn out) but they were sooo good....

    Ben Cabe

    ReplyDelete
  14. mmm love granola...looks like a great recipe! x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Tania I have been meaning to make this for aaaageesss! There is a yummy recipe for this in Nan's Kitchen, but I've been slack!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. If you have any questions please check back later as I will do my best to answer any within the comments section.