Placemats. I don't think I've used them since I was a kid, when they were vinyl and hardwearing. Practical yes, but not that great to look at, despite the floral borders. But with our new old table being so large, placemats seemed like the ideal solution and far more preferable than lugging out a giant tablecloth at every meal.
So I searched through my stash for an assortment of prints. Old tablecloths, teatowels, scraps from cushion fabric and quilting cottons made up the mix.
All double sided so easily flipped over for a change or to hide the inevitable food stains (shhh, you didn't hear that from me..)
All were sewn using a very similar method to here, only with a larger rectangle and just two pieces. These were sewn from rectangles of about 34 x 47cm, including seam allowances. I didn't bother hand sewing up the opening, but it simply enclosed when sewing the border seam. These are deep enough to pop a plate, cup and cutlery.
A very easy, quick and practical project. Which now frees me up to do a little christmas sewing.
A happy first day of December to you all.