Tuesday, December 20, 2011
We had a little drama here over the weekend. I thought Julia's picture story would give you a rough idea (though please excuse Luca's added comment bubble) Daniel saw our younger dog Sootie with a snake. A brown snake. And right in out driveway next to the house where I unload the car. I know. How freaky. She had attacked the snake and then ran off to hide. After the snake was taken care of, we examined Sootie, and though she was running around like normal we could tell that something wasn't quite right.
Luckily the vet was available for such an emergency and he met Daniel and the kids at his surgery. After warning us of the high veterinary bill at the end of it all. A blood test confirmed that she had indeed been bitten. Her blood was no longer clotting.
So she had her various sedation, anti-reaction and anti-venom shots. Thankfully she pulled through. We picked her up the next day. With a lighter bank balance, but knowing that we did the right thing. Grateful that it happened when Daniel was home.
There is always a danger of snakes in the bush. Our village is right in the bush, near a river. We live in their environment, so sightings are inevitable. But it is concerning and frightening to see a deadly snake right next to your house. Right where the kids often play. Where you unload the shopping.
The lesson we are learning in all this is to always be careful where you tread. To always wear shoes. And never leave doors open.
Have you had a snake experience?