During the past month I managed to whip up a few little items for Violet. I think it's no secret that I just love baby sewing. It's generally quick, easy, requires little fabric and they wear whatever you put them in without complaining! Baby clothes also lend themselves perfectly to repurposing unwanted adult sized clothing.
I picked up an adult sized t-shirt on the one dollar rack in the op shop to make some pants for Violet. It is very hard to pick up baby pants in the op shop that actually fit over a cloth sized nappy. Also hard to pick up one that is not covered with baby print or brand names. Problem solved with a printed tee, cut into two pattern pieces (roughly based on the pants pattern in Simple Sewing for Baby but with a more tapered leg) and using the original tee shirt cover stitch hem for the hem of the pants.
Another adult top (also from that dollar rack) made up another pair of leggings which I added a few felted hearts to.
The top was originally a bodysuit that had been outgrown. So I chopped off the bottom and hemmed it. I used some scrap fabric to make a flower of sorts (I need to twist a little looser next time).
This last project was quickly whipped up before camping to tote around a few of Violet's toys. I used the instructions from Weekend Sewing, and I'm sure there are many similar tutorials online. It is a Japanese print that I picked up on sale awhile ago. It is not only handy for going away, but also handy to stash a few toys out in the lounge room.
Sadly my sewing machine is out of action again. Previously I was waiting for a bobbin case replacement, which seemed to work for a few weeks. But now it seems the problem goes deeper than that. Of course this all happened 17 days out of my warranty. So after much online research, price shopping and some negotiation I am happy to say a new but better quality machine is on it's way. And now no more spending for me for a couple of months!