Tuesday, January 31, 2012

birthday girl

It was 7 years ago on Saturday that we welcomed our Miss Julia into the world. 

I remember the night we brought her home. She was two days old. I was exhausted. So exhausted that I just had to sleep. But  I could not because of a hungry baby that was waiting for milk to come in. Around midnight Daniel said he would take her downstairs. Not long afterwards she fell asleep in his arms. I remember drifting off to sleep thinking that everything was going to be okay.


 

It was too hot to bake a cake on the day of Julia's birthday. So we waited until the next day.


Julia asked for a caramel cake. I found an old Women's Weekly recipe for Butterscotch Teacake. The icing proved to be rather addictive.


Then I realized I had no candles. So I poked a rose into the middle. Julia didn't seem to mind.


She lost her front tooth the same day.






I think she likes her new bike. Happy 7th birthday Julia.

17 comments:

Zara said...

A new bike is the perfect Birthday present.
I think a butterscotch cake may be my birthday request too now. x

The Provincial Homemaker said...

It sounds like a lovely, gentle way to celebrate the day.

Susan said...

happy birthday Julia! I love the rose in the cake - very attractive!

Lilian said...

Happy birthday Julia! The best kind of birthdays - the kind that has gentle memories attached to it.

Tracey said...

Happy birthday to your big girl!

I knew I recogonized that cake, it's one of my favorites!

Tammi said...

The birthday girl looks pretty impressed with both cake and bike :)
Happy Birthday Miss Julia.
xx

Enchanted Moments said...

I bet Julia loved the streamers on the side of the handlebars the best...I remember mine, I loved them...and so did my little girl..

Catherine said...

Happy 7th birthday to your sweet girl:) The cake looks delicious and I think the rose is the best topping ever. It was my little ones birthday yesterday, she turned 8, hasn't the time gone by so fast. xx

Tania @ Out Back said...

HAPPY 7th BIRTHDAY Julia!

They grow up so fast dont they?

That cake looks soooo nice!

x

michelle said...

Happy Birthday Julia! That girl of yours has such a gorgeous head of hair. Butterscotch icing, mmmmm!

Andrea said...

The cake looks delicious! Happy birthday Julia....enjoy! xxx

Bungalowgirl said...

She looks completely chuffed with herself - what a trifecta for the tooth the cake and the bike! melx

Dartford Warbler said...

Happy Birthday from the other side of the world!

Seven is such a lovely age. When I was teaching, the 6/7 year old age group was always my favourite. Children of that age are so full of fun, imagination and a sense of wonder about the world.

Kim H said...

Happy 7th Birthday to your lovely Julia xx What a cute cake. Love that big rose in the middle. Who needs candles when you have a gorgy rose?

This post made me think about the last time I made a caramel cake. I have been taunted and teased by my family for the icing ever since. It turned rock hard!! {lovely family they are...not!!}.

My Dad, the builder type, still, to this day (the cake saga was about 2 yers ago now) says to me: Yeh, you had to pre-drill the holes for the candles!" and "When I threw the rest of the cake over the verandah to the birds it nearly chipped my paint work" - funny! Not! (well, just a little, maybe).
I bet yours was nothing like my caramel mess. xx

good_to_be_home said...

Hello! I've just started reading your blog (hope you don't mind!) I am enjoying the photos and journaling very much.
Happy Birthday to your little one.

thejadeleaf said...

Love the rose. Sweet, thoughtful touch x

Anny said...

Wow my Mum used to make that exact cake....I can just imagine the taste and texture!! I'm sure it will be a popular recipe :)