Friday, May 11, 2012

good things

Today promises to be a big day of (thorough) cleaning and bulk cooking with my brother and his family coming tomorrow to stay at the shed. Yesterday I went to the local butcher and bought plenty of mince, some rump steak and a huge amount of Italian sausages. So lots of crowd cooking today. I will cook up a basic lasagne and a few baked goods to see us through part of the weekend. Perhaps some homemade lemon cordial as a treat. A barbeque is also on the cards.


We have been scrumping apples (a new word to me, courtesy of last night's River Cottage, you can view it here). There is something very satisfying about picking free, unwanted apples. This lot have a crisp and juicy sweet, sour flavour (though I did have to peel most of them). Like rather unattractive Granny Smiths with a delicious inner personality.


Some new fabric from here. I'm not quite sure what to do with it yet, but I love the fresh colours and the simply drawn prints with a Scandinavian feel. Any ideas?


My knitting and Julia's knitting. Not much more to go on this project. Thank goodness I have the right amount of stitches this time.

Julia is making her first scarf.


A new little reading pile. Again, about food. And knitting. Perfect late night reading when my brain is too tired to read much else. Filing away in my mind lots of from scratch recipes to try one day.                  


The broadbeans have all emerged from the soil. This will be my first time growing them. But I am already a big fan of eating them. I used to buy big bag fulls at our old farmers market. I miss the farmers market.



May your weekend be filled with many good things.

20 comments:

  1. I love Violet's cheeky grin in the last pic! Have a wonderful mother's day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh your blog lifts my spirits. The view from your window is just so lovely.
    I think you sound very content (in being at home etc)... enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Curtains?
    Violet is just as gorgeous grinning as she is serious ;-)
    Enjoy the family weekend and be sure to put your feet up on Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a priceless smile!

    I've just taken up knitting yesterday. I am trying to knit a scarf before winter ends!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for the abc link. We don't have a tv in our home and sometimes I crave something gorgeous to watch. I'm so out of the loop with technology but you've opened u a whole new world for me. Weeeeeee! And hang in there with the Kina....just cast of Bijou's today. Once you get past the sleeves (again you poor love!) it seems to come along much quicker. Enjoy your weekend of scrumping!! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. In my experience, the uglier the apple the better the flavour.

    Your sink looks gorgeous.

    Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Violet is one very happy looking toddler.
    How are the books, would you recommend them?
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE the CHEESY GRIN! You sound quite busy... enjoy the time with your brother and family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous photography. Violet is a classic. Happy mothers day on Sunday:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That last photo is classic!

    Ah, more books for me to borrow!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That view is stunning in all it's yellowness.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh that Violet is a cheeky one...at least you got her to sit on the chair and not the table!!
    Your reading and knitting looks wonderful...i really need to make more time for those pursuits!
    Loved following your pics...hope you have a warm weekend with special times x

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a delight, the image of the scumped apples made me smile, and breathe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Have a wonderful visit with family!

    I think that sometimes the ugliest apples are the tastiest, at least when it comes to scrumped apples! (I like that word, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those fabrics are gorgeous. How about some covers for journals? A homey/housey one would be lovely:)

    Love the gorgy autumny view from your window. How lucky are you to have a church to look out at. So pretty. Happy weekend, Tania x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the autumn colour through your window. Sounds like a busy but delicious weekend coming up for you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I'd love to go on a good 'scrump'! Don't you just love Hugh :)

    I am thinking big floor cushions for book reading for the kids? Love the colours together. Looks like a heavy fabric?

    ReplyDelete
  18. look at all that fabulousness - and i love the look of that book Paddock to Plate!!! wow...xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love watching the River Cottage too and how lucky are you to be able to pick free fruit and create something delicious with them.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. If you have any questions please check back later as I will do my best to answer any within the comments section.