Tuesday, June 12, 2012

bye bye long weekend








 When I downloaded my camera after the long weekend, there wasn't a lot there, and they were certainly a mixed bag.

I baked bread from the River Cottage bread handbook. Slowly working my way through that one. This one was a monastery loaf, which sounds incredibly wholesome, and I suppose it was with it's 100% wholemeal and added oats. Not terribly popular with the kids though. But I quite liked it very thinly sliced and buttered.

I knitted at night time and even managed to complete a long overdue project. But more on that later. It's sitting, damp and blocked on a towel right now, waiting for some buttons. Decisions, decisions...

On Friday I came home from the op shop with a basket, cake tin, scone cutters, Norwegian jumper and a bottle from the op shop. Because you can never have too many baskets can you? I'm quite happy with that large cake tin, which has a perfectly functional lid (some tend to get stuck) and a good interior.

On Monday we ate scrambled eggs for breakfast. I made Mexican style patties for lunch with rice salad on the side and a little sour cream and grated cheese. Not a bad alternative to the packet style Mexican food I used to buy.

We skimmed rocks at the river. Daniel, a champion skimmer, laughed at my attempts at said "just don't hit the car", which somehow must have caused me to do just that. Luckily no damage.

We discovered a dam and the kids didn't want to leave.


But back to reality today. Back to school and back to work.


Bye bye long weekend.

16 comments:

  1. Looks like a beautiful weekend Tania:)Hope your week ahead continues to as lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks beautifully romantic and honest, as always. my mum has that same cake tin and uses it all the time, I have always wanted one, so that is such a lucky find.
    (Your package is heading off with today's mail x)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The scrambled eggs look so delicious! Your photos are always so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely weekend! I would love the recipe for those mexican-style patties if you are happy to share?? xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Bianca - Thank you - can't wait :)
    @Miss E - To a half kilo of beef mince I added a finely chopped onion, 2 cloves of garlic chopped, a handful of chopped coriander, a generous sprinkle each of smokey paprika, dried coriander, a teaspoon of cumin, a dash of sweet chilli sauce and sea salt. Fried in olive oil.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too would like the patties recipe. I have those gum boots in my size:o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. after a weekend of belly bugs, I am very happy to look at your beautiful pics and imagine I did all that over the weekend ;) sarah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, and add egg to that recipe above :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. nice op-shop haul! and those scrambled eggs look so yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that cake tin and jumper, nice finds! Our long weekend seemed longer than three days, which was lovely, but made this morning all the harder! Have a good short week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maria that makes three of us with the pink gumbies.
    Tania I came home with a basket just like yours last week, with yellow handles and all.
    You and your family look to have had a wonderful long weekend. Enjoy the rest of your week my dear.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. who could leave that cake tin behind? Love the idea of working through a whole recipe book, and that butterfly skirt is the beez neez.

    ReplyDelete
  13. lovely pics from your weekend.love the bread and your knitting.great photos.
    love and hugs regina

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those are very gorgeous photos - I'm listening to all knitting with attentiveness as I am really still at a basic skill level.
    I'd been eyeing off that bread book so I'm glad to hear it is a good one - kids are really terrible judges of good bread unless they've never SEEN those dish washing slices from the factories!! I'm still trying to convince mine crusts are GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your photos look lovely Tania. Looks like a lovely weekend. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  16. It really is quite the let down when we have to return to reality and real life. Your photos are lovely as always.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. If you have any questions please check back later as I will do my best to answer any within the comments section.