Friday, February 1, 2013

summer wardrobe : alma


I remember my mother making me the prettiest dress when I was 6 or 7. It had cute little puffed sleeves, bluebird fabric and best of all, a Peter Pan collar. So although, sadly, there will be no bluebirds and puffed sleeves today, a Peter Pan collar there will be.

It was a windy day!

I had purchased Sewaholic's Alma pattern some months ago, and thought the christmas holidays would be the perfect time to sew this for. I had never sewn a blouse type of pattern before, let alone a collar, but this one had the advantage of no fiddly buttons, just an invisible side zipper of which I have sewn with a few times.




The fabric, a Liberty print, was not cheap, but was a little christmas splurge (at least that is my excuse). It was beautiful to work with though, is comfortable to wear, and I don't think I will ever tire of the print. I would like to think that this is something I could wear for years, and perhaps one day when it becomes too worn to wear, could be cut up for patchwork.

I can't quite recall which size I cut out for, only that there was a mixture of sizes involved in the final cut, and there was some altering along the way. I think in my intentions of not making it sack-like it ended up a little too fitted, with tucks instead of darts. I did lengthen it slightly.





The pattern was easy to follow and the steps do-able if you have made a few things before. I would definitely make this again, perhaps one of the other Alma versions next time. I have been wearing it with slim fitting jeans, but I would like to try it tucked in with a skirt at some stage.

My own Mum decided to trace the same pattern too, and the next time I saw her there she was in her very own Alma. She didn't even need the instructions. Unfortunately though I did not manage to get matching Alma photos!




Have you been sewing or making lately?
What have you been making or planning?

26 comments:

  1. Just beautiful! You've done a gorgeous job of it. And working with lovely fabrics really is so much nicer isn't it?! I'm turning some opshop goodies into more wearable pieces today. Love stocking up the wardrobe with things that were as cheap as chips. Will have a look at that pattern too. Have you bought the Wiksten tank pattern (just google it). I'm just about to sew one up and it looks pretty easy peasy. A good staple I think. Wishing you a happy, sew-ey day lovely :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is lovely. Such beautiful fabric and the fit looks good. I've made a couple of Almas (must get round to bloggin them!) I'm working on a muslin of the sureau dress by deer and doe, a grainline Tee and a baby quilt for a friend. Hmm, maybe to many projects on the go?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful! It looks like it would be very versatile and comfy to wear. Love the colours and yes nice fabric is worth it because it co-operates so very well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is soo cute! You really are tempting me to bring out the sewing machine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's gorgeous and I picked the fabric straight away, it's so lovely :-). I can't sew anything for fun until I do the rest of these wretched little athletics badges but I am thinking about making a Tova top and hope it is doable for a beginner. Have a lovely weekend :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love everything about this top, the pattern of the fabric is so pretty. 3/4 sleeves are so practical too. Have a great weekend! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. tania, it's just the sweetest. and it suits you beautifully. you're onto a goodie there!...once i start wading through my to-sew list, i might give this pattern a go. have been feeling rather unmotivated in all this hot weather. i usually sew at night and i just can't bring myself to sit down at the machine. this is so unlike me, but all i can manage to do is watch some tv...we did download girls though, which was super addictive! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks lovely and the fabric is just beautiful. You are chalking up the adult clothes now. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd love to see the matching photos. Your Alma is gorgeous. Clever!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely. I love peter pan collars and I love liberty prints.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've spent wisely if it's going to last. Beautiful. Happy weekend xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. So pretty! Looking forward to the matching photos ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's gorgeous and I love the collar and the beautiful fabric!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been sewing since I was in primary school so I cant remember what it was like to start off as a novice.... therefore I am really enjoying watching your progress with this stitchy business!!
    I love to see your new creations and I especially love to see (and read) the joy that comes through each time you master another technique!
    Well done and thanks so much for sharing the fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That fabric and colour looks gorgeous on you Tania, and I love the collar too. mel x

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks like the perfect top to start my sewing off for the year.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's so sweet and pretty. I love the fabric. It reminds me of a skirt I had bought for my daughter at Target. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's gorgeous, Tania. Love the fabric and the peter pan collar is sooo lovely. It really suits you. Love your bangle too, by the way x

    ReplyDelete
  19. As I was reading through your post, I was thinking your top was nice. Then I saw the photo of you wearing it, and my opinion changed - it is absolutely lovely, and suits you so well! It just goes to show how much better garments look on a real person than just on a hanger.

    My sewing has been a combination of soft toys and clothes - even made some shorts for my husband, which he isn't too sure about, but has worn around the house.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh that is adorable! Alas, no I cannot sew these days. My toddler is petrified of the noise my sewing machines make and using them while she sleeps just wakes her up. Hopefully one day soon though! It's been so long.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your new top is lovely . You did a wonderful job on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just catching up on all your news. The top looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Tania! gorgeous...well worth the Liberty splurge! I loved how your clever mum could whip up her own without instructions xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, this is stunning! I want to make it right now :) x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. If you have any questions please check back later as I will do my best to answer any within the comments section.