Friday, February 8, 2013

summer wardrobe : the washi dress


You probably know those few days following christmas.  Days usually involving relaxing, getting over christmas and eating way too many leftovers. Well, this year my "relaxing" involved whipping up a dress. Of course I still ate way too many leftovers. But it is funny how the more you sew the more you enjoy the whole process, and not just the finished product. Yes, I enjoyed it enough to use my free time cooped up in my sewing room for two days.

As there was a definite gap in my wardrobe as far as dresses were concerned, I chose the Washi Dress pattern, from the blog Made By Rae for this holiday project, which I purchased locally here. The fabric was a cotton voile I had purchased from Darn Cheap Fabrics, and it was indeed cheap. But lovely and soft to touch with a colourful print.




I made a quick version out of an old sheet to test for sizing, which needed a little adjusting here and there in the side seams. It all came together fairly easily, with some fiddling involved with the neckline and facing. There was some frustration when I realized I had sewed on the facing the wrong way, but at the end of the day that is what an unpicker is for.




 There are several lines of shirring at the back (of which I forgot to take a photo of!) which eliminates the need for a zipper or buttons and gives you a nice snug, but comfortable fit. I was a little nervous using the elastic thread, as I hadn't used it before. But don't be scared, it really is very easy to sew with. The simple pleats came together easily, which is something I've struggled with in the past. I also took the hem up a bit.

The pattern instructions were clear and thorough, with several options to choose from for some of the steps. Though I didn't line this dress, there are instructions available for that, as well as the option of making this a tunic top or a maxi dress.

I was very happy with the end result and this has been a favourite pop on and go outfit all this Summer. The only thing I did end up altering was I later blind stitched the inner facing to the bodice, as I had issues with it staying down. Would I make it again? Yes, though I might try the plain scoop neck variation next time. Or possibly in a maxi style.




In the end though, the thing I like most about this dress is that it makes me feel happy whenever I put it on. It is my new "happy" dress.



Do you have a happy dress?
Have you been sewing or making lately?
Any projects to share?


26 comments:

  1. I love it !
    You do such a good job on your 'finer details'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, its amazing! I'd love to try the pattern I've read so many great things about it. I've never had any luck sewing things for myself, but I may give this one a try next fall. My youngest will be going to school then and I'll have time to give the project proper attention ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks fabulous on you. I too struggle with flippy out facings..
    Happy dress? Probably the belladone that i made recently. I'm working on another one from Deer and Doe at the moment (the sureau) so we'll see how that turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this is gorgeous! You've done a beautiful job and have such a way with colour and print...a real eye for it. There are so many lovely sewing patterns around now. You've inspired me to make this one. WIshing you a beautiful weekend :) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's beautiful! I absolutely love Darn Cheap. It's where I used to go fabric shopping when I was a teenager (the one in Glenhuntley).This dress is just so bright and light looking. It seems like the kind of thing you could wear on a 47 degree day and then with tights and cardigan on a 15 degree day. You clever thing you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous! Looks great in that bold print. And I agree about enjoying the process more as you go along. Even unpicking can be almost meditative if you go with the flow :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow it's amazing! I haven't made clothing in a long time, but i love this so much i've rushed over and bought the pattern. Can't wait to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Washi is great. I just finished my 4th one last night! Love this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You and the dress are both looking gorgeous Tania! I saw this one on made by rae and thought it looked great. Excellent to see someone have a go at it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous!!!!!! I've seen this pattern too and would love to try the maxi style. You've inspired me to stop looking around and start doing......thank you for the links to the fabric site. I have no idea where to get fabric other than Spotlight! I love your hair too. Very beautiful :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. really cute...can see why it makes you happy!....great selfies!
    Allison x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lol, *Wolf whistle*! Those colours and that dress design look great on you :). Congrats on the shirring. I've been sewing for decades but I'm a bit of a coward with trying new stuff unless I absolutely have to. That's the only reason I can do zips and boning. I'm also too cheap to pay someone else to do them ;P.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks amazing Tania, I will have to check out those sites. Good idea without the zips, they are so annoying to sew. x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well done Tania. I think the neckline detail gives the dress added interest. Thanks for the links to the sites

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely dress Tania, really suits you. You are on such a roll with all this sewing. I have a bright colourful thin dress for those hot days and with my yellow salties it is my happy ensemble. mel x

    ReplyDelete
  16. When I got to the pictures of you modeling your dress I thought, "She looks happy in this one." So it was fun to read that you've named it your happy dress.

    I have happy shoes---red clogs.

    Great job, I love everything about the dress!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A very lovely and happy dress! Good work! You are so smart to sew a practice one before going for it with your pretty fabric.

    I am currently too enamored with knitting to sit and sew, but there is a pattern that has been calling to me so I might manage to get back to it once my knit cap is done...which hopefully will be soon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your dress is gorgeous! I love it!
    Have a lovely Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a beautiful dress!! It was worth all the extra work because you look awesome in it! Thanks for the review - I had been wondering if this pattern really was worth all the hype. Guess I'll have to try it myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. That certainly is a happy dress, I love it!

    Looks great on you Tania!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Another WONDERFUL project and it looks GREAT on you too. I love when a piece of clothing turns out that well and becomes a "go to" outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I don't have one, but when I see you smile like that, I think I have to make myself one really quick! ;o)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. If you have any questions please check back later as I will do my best to answer any within the comments section.