Tuesday, May 17, 2011

feijoas




It seems that word has gotten around at Daniel's work that his wife likes to make jam. So Daniel came home the other night with a bag full of feijoas from a workmates backyard. I had a very vague idea of what they were, but had never seen them in person. In fact, I still don't know how to pronounce feijoa.

They can be eaten when ripe by cutting in two and spooning out the flesh. I found the fragrance a little overpowering though, but some people love it.

Once made into jam I can only describe the taste as being a little like pineapple. Here is the recipe I used. It is adapted from a Sally Wise recipe with my own twist.



  Feijoa Jam with Vanilla and Marsala

1 kg feijoa flesh, chopped
Juice of 1 lemon
1/4 cup water
900g white sugar
1/4 cup marsala
1/2 vanilla bean

Add a little of the lemon juice to the feijoa while chopping as they tend to brown quickly. 
Place fiejoa, lemon juice and water in large saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring constantly. 

Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in the sugar, marsala and scrape the vanilla bean in also. Add the scraped vanilla bean. Boil over medium heat for about 25 minutes until setting point is reached. To check if it is set, place a little on a plate and place in the fridge for a few minutes. If it is set on the saucer, then the jam has reached setting point.

Spoon into sterilized jars and seal.

Enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. OMG...I love feijoa's, in our four years in Australia I have never seen them and then in the space of a few weeks see them on 3 blogs :)

    I love indoors-y days and indulging in all things homey and miss being able to trek to the snow whenever we fancied. Really miss real winters (playing catchup with your posts)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of these bu they do sound interesting. May have to research a bit more about them. The jam sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/feijoa.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pronounced: fe - jo - ah. Yummy. You're jammin'!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tania enjoy your yummy Feijoa jam. I made some just recently but your recipe sounds much more delicious than the one I used.I too find the smell of them a bit overpowering. I'm not that keen on the fruit but the jam is very nice - go figure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never heard of these before, your jam recipe sounds delish. They look like a tropical fruit but maybe not if they are coming from your snow covered locale. We make a lot of pear jam at our place and it's quite nice too. I tried kiwi jam while travelling in Italy and it was super delish. Mel:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love Feijoa's but the ones I had when I lived in Bathurst, NSW< Australia, were pink on the inside. I had never had them before and was amazed how much like lollies they tasted. Same where you are?

    I think you say Fi or Fe - JOE- A.

    Bellaxx

    www.bybande.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. If you have any questions please check back later as I will do my best to answer any within the comments section.