Thursday, July 19, 2012

hits and misses



 I thought I would show you some little projects that I've been working on in the past month. Various bits and pieces. Some successful and others not quite so much.





A wool skirt for Julia. Basically a long rectangle of op shopped wool joined together, hemmed, with an elasticized waist and some large pockets made from Anna Maria Horner cotton. I once said I'd never do the matchy matchy thing, but take a look here. Yes, I am guilty. But I have to admit that it not only makes me feel quite frugal, but I actually quite like it. Perhaps because I never had a sister of my own to match.






You might remember my chair project. Well, it seems one of the kids quite enjoyed peeling back a few loose bits on the back of this chair. It started to look rather shabby and not in a good way. Something really had to be done.

I took a vintage sheet, traced a very rough pattern and voila! Ten minutes later a simple chair cover. It will be easy to slip off and wash and brings our chair back some of it's (humble) former glory.




And now for the miss. Yes, it all looks pretty fine and dandy in our picture. A hat that was intended for Violet, but was so huge it actually fit Julia. Obviously my gauge was way out. Something I neglected to test out before diving in and starting it on this weekend. Probably best for me not to start projects when I'm on holiday, as every time I do it tends to not work out. I even tried shrinking it but it stubbornly refused to do so, despite the hottest of temperatures. Lets hope for better luck next time, as otherwise I quite liked this little pattern. Meanwhile I may be able to persuade Julia to wear it with the button undone.

Nevertheless, it is raveled here.


Have you had any hits or misses lately?

13 comments:

  1. My sister, cousin and I werre always matchy-matchy, especially at Christmastime. Somehow we were all dressed the same, just different colourways. I love the knitted bonnet. I would wear it! ;) sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love the hat tania. the colour is beautiful. a clever way to cover up the chair too. i have my eye on the fabric you used for the seat. how pretty. enjoy your day. hope all is good on the school front. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the chair cover. Great colours.
    My sister and I were matchy-matchy. I think my mum found this easier and to avoid arguments.
    Have a good day :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have many misses! Each time I know that if I was a bit more patient and had taken the time to do things properly, it might have worked out a bit better... grrr!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Misses are awesome because they drive us to do better/different and lead to discovery! I really like the pattern on your chair seat too. Orangey-reds look so good with aqua. And I agree, there is something quite satisfying and frauline Maria about feeling frugally creative. One thing that is never a miss is clicking in on your blog space. delightful! xx Fi

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very pretty winter skirt. Love the addition of the pockets.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. love your chair cover, what a quick and easy way to spruce up an old chair.:) Nx

    ReplyDelete
  8. The skirt is charming but special mention to the seat covers, just adorable, so pretty & practical too, love Posie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your granny square blanket (grey and orange together are wonderful!), and the lovely chair renovation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely hat! And very resourceful idea for making the pretty chair cover.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i am so impressed with that beanie tania! i wish i could knit like that x

    ReplyDelete
  12. i have that little beani / hat pattern but am yet to give it a go! Yours is cute, even if the size is off!

    rachel xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great projects and well done!! My Aviatrix came out HUGE too. It's just sitting waiting for her to grow into it. So don't feel bad :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. If you have any questions please check back later as I will do my best to answer any within the comments section.