Monday, July 2, 2012

a rainbow trout, a dress and a clean room



On Friday night I cooked my first ever rainbow trout. Caught by Daniel during his lunch break. Not the type to usually enjoy sitting for hours and hours casting a line in, this was the first fish he'd ever brought home for me. I'm secretly hoping that this lucky catch might encourage him to fish more often.

With a little help from google, a dusting of flour and a pan fry with garlic and butter, it was soon ready. Though I did have to snap the poor fish in half to fit it in the frypan, and the stray bones that were still in there after de-boning (my first attempt remember) did give the meal a slight living on the edge type feeling, but overall it was quite good. Come to think of it, a squeeze of lemon would've gone well with it too.





Violet got to wear her new little dress from Ivy Loves Jack (you will find a gorgeous selection of childrens vintage over there). Isn't it lovely? It's a wool blend, so teamed with a thermal can be worn in our colder climate. The colours and design of this dress remind me of one of my favourite childhood dresses. There were lots of brown dresses back then. Sadly you don't see many now. Unfortunately our darker winter light and a fast moving subject made it impossible to avoid a little blur.

I cleaned out our bedroom on the weekend. Was a little horrified at all the dust gathered behind the bedside tables. My excuse is that Violet screams whenever the vaccum is on, so I mostly sweep. But fresh bedding and a dust free room can do wonders for your mental state.


I think one day I am going to miss all the constant "to mum" Julia drawings.



Hoping that you too had a lovely weekend.

14 comments:

  1. Cute dress! I wore a lot of velvet, something else you don't see much.

    I am on holidays now, one of my mission is to rid my own bedroom of dust bunnies and stuff! I am so looking forward to that first night sleeping in my newly clean room!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum trout! We used to go to Lake Taupo in the middle of the North Island to fish for trout..so good especially pickled.
    Violet's dress is adorable and the perfect winter attire teamed with tights.
    I won't even mention the layers of dust that have taken up residence here, they would shock the socks of you :) though I did spend yesterday doing another major cull. Funny how it seems to be an ongoing task.
    Enjoy your Monday Tania.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only you can make a raw dead fish look like a still life painting Tania! Love Violet's dress- like Jacq above I too wore alot of velvet- I had a navy dress with a matching velveteen rabbit, and also a lot of corduroy. the love of these has never left and i'm sure it is because of these childhood memories.
    And dust, yep we have that with mould embedded in it as well thanks to all the rain. Disgusting. melx

    ReplyDelete
  4. the dress looks gorgeous! a thorough room clean is on the cards for me today too, the fire in the house just seems to make the dust ridiculous. love seeing pics of your house too, it's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am always walking in and finding drawings left on my pillow, or something made for me...I have quite a little collection in a box under my bed too...( along with dust balls!) I remember having a long, as to the ground brown/apricot themed Holly Hobby dress when I was little, probably 1975..and Oh my Gosh it was my absolute favourite dress in the whole world....that little dress is very pretty....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love muted colours. Unfortunately my daughter doesn't share my love so I save the muted colours for yours truly and leave her to colour the world with her preference for a vivid palette! I've always been nervy cooking trout because of all the bones. Good on you for doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a great catch. high five for daniel. i love cooking fresh fish like this. yours looks delicious. i too often have a problem with bones...it just makes us eat the food slower which isn't such a bad thing anyway :) enjoy your day tania. xo ps: violet looks very cute. i love her red leggings too. they go well with the dress.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Violet's dress is just beautiful.
    There is some serious dust here too, so you're not the only one it seems.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Violet looks very sweet in her dress I remember lots of velvet wearing as a little girl:)
    Those drawings to Mum are so very precious, my big girl doesn't make so much these days but my little one does still:)
    Enjoy your Monday. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. It seems I'm not the only one with a velvet dress past then. I had a favourite "best" dress in brown velvet when I was four.
    @ enchanted moments - I think I had a similar Holly Hobbie dress - though mine was op shopped by mum in the 80's (pretty sure it was a 70's piece).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sam caught us a feed of fresh fish on the weekend too. It made such a delicious and healthy dinner. . .

    rachel xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum, nothing like fresh, free fish for dinner.
    The dust bunnies here are running rampant, winter is worst because we have a woodfire. I use Cohen's screaming as an excuse not to vacuum too, but there is only so much a broom can do. Once a week Nan takes the boys for a walk so I can run around with the vac.
    Kate xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. The new little dress is stunning but then anything on your adorable little cherub would be BEAUTIFUL! OH Rainbow trout - I haven't had that in years since I lived in New York State.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. If you have any questions please check back later as I will do my best to answer any within the comments section.