My five year old favourite pyjama pants were sadly wearing very thin. Comfortable yes, but they certainly were not the prettiest site. On the weekend I bravely picked them apart to make one side into a pattern piece. I had been planning this for quite some time, but I suppose I was waiting until they had well and truly had their day. This is the first time I've tried this method, because it is a little scary to take a favourite piece apart. Knowing that you can never wear it again, even if it is no longer very wearable. But I love this method and I now have plans for another well worn but holey top in my wardrobe.
What I loved about this pair is that they were generously wide legged, not too high in the waist and so a little more flattering than most pairs on. For me, they were the holy grail of pyjama pants. Once apart I realized that there was only one leg seam in each side, which made the sewing part a whole lot easier. The pattern piece itself seemed absurdly wide and short, but it does work. I kept the faux fly detail, which although it took a little fiddling, was not really difficult.
The only flannel I had on hand was some old sheets, but it does feel good to repurpose something into a useful item for next to nothing. I quite like the floral mustard tones, something you don't really see much of anymore.
All in all this took just a few hours to whip up, over the space of two days. And I now have a comfy pair of pyjamas to replace my beloved striped pair. Another vintage sheet is at the ready to make another pair this week, with future hopes of a fancier version for holidays etc with perhaps some Anna Maria Horner flannel.
I guess it's saying something that I'm still wearing them past nine o'clock this morning. (Luckily Daniel took the kids to school).