Tuesday, June 21, 2011

new season pants

It seems that little Violet is growing faster than her wardrobe can keep up with. How fast do babies grow? Way too fast, as my babies have always been on the chubby side. So I realized the other day that it had been quite awhile since I'd done any baby sewing. Too long. And I realized that I had really missed it. My thoughts turned to the quick change trousers from this well read book that I had made for Violet before she was born, seen here. Then I saw these gorgeous ones over at Corrie's. But how to adapt for our colder climate? Not to mention adapting for a bulky cloth nappy and jumpsuit underneath.


Going through my sewing basket, I realized that I had actually cut all the pattern pieces out for a pair months ago. Then I had forgotten all about it. So I sewed the floral vintage and $5 per metre fabric together and voila! One pair down. Though I did think they were a little snug. Maybe to do with the fact that I cut the fabric pieces when the little girl was quite a bit smaller.


So I think I found the solution. I found a cloth nappy ("diaper") modification to the original pattern over at Sew Liberated, going up a size (18 months in my case) as recommended. I had used this modification on the first pair, but it was cut in Violet's current size, not the size up.


Thrifted plaid wool and cotton seemed a nice Wintery choice, don't you think? The weightier fabric and reversible style seemed well suited for the colder days.


And because I was on a roll with all this weekend sewing, I added a vintage corduroy and Laura Ashley print together for number three. 


They are actually a little long in length and I have a good feeling that they will fit next winter as well. As for the cloth nappy factor - they fit just right.


I think the smile says it all.

Not to mention a bit of "fun"sewing for mum.

15 comments:

  1. I love the little pants - definitely "one of a kinds" and VERY special because "mommy" made them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at miss jazzy pants, isn't she just the cutest model?

    Well done to you Tania, the pants look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous. I love the cordoroy and laura ashley combo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely gorgeous and your baby girl is stunning - those EYES!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are beautiful! Especially the green ones

    ReplyDelete
  6. I well remember the dilemma of dressing chubby cloth nappy clad babes and likewise always had to resort to making my own pants.

    You have done a brilliant job Tania, love the choice of fabrics and the combinations you have put together....just perfect.

    And as for your little model...Miss Violet is just scrumptiously adorable!!!

    Here's to more days of blissful sewing.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. your little girl is a beauty! i love her smile. the pants look fabulous- great job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great pair of pants. Can't wait to give them a go myself and your little girl looks absolutely adorable

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh she looks pretty thrilled with her new wardrobe!! Love Posie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous! I love the peek-a-boo floral on the cuff.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just gorgeous! Love the fabric choices! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. They are all adorable, I especially love the green. Your little Violet is stunning. Sometimes I wish I still had a baby to sew for.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the little pants! Your baby is so cute, she has the most beautiful eyes ! :o) Sue

    ReplyDelete
  14. That last photo is beyond precious! I am very impressed with your work. They all turned out so wonderfully and there is nothing better than clothes made by mum! The green ones are my favorites too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow you are so clever to adapt and try different combos of fabric, they look great and your daughter is adorable!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. If you have any questions please check back later as I will do my best to answer any within the comments section.