Wednesday, April 11, 2012

autumn harvests






 


I had forgotten just how busy this time of year is. For even though many crops failed and planted fruit trees have several years until they are productive, there was and is so much still to harvest and preserve.


 Windowsill tomatoes are quickly ripening. There was more baby zucchini, baby tomatoes, rhubarb and basil that I brought in at dusk last night. We've been having light frosts, and each day it seems a little more of these plants are dying.


This is my second year of preserving and I have to say it really it is a lot of fun. I haven't bought jam in over a year, as there is always a jar in the pantry. It makes a handy little gift to friends and family, and is always well received. Best of all, it's really not that hard. 
 








We've been picking quinces again from the driveway of the vacant house down the road. Armed with a pram, a trike, and numerous bags and baskets it was a pretty fun outing for all of us. But I fear it may be the last year as the house is about to be leased again. I do miss having all that quince jam and jelly lined up in the pantry. I'm thinking this year I might try quince paste too.

We picked apples from a few more lone trees in the village. Many don't look the best, but they taste sweet and tangy. Miles ahead of the sad supermarket variety.






I've been bulk apple pie making (with a good dose of apple and blackberry jam mixed into the apples) with Nigella's rich shortcrust pastry made with butter and lard.






I kicked off the preserving this week with orange and rhubarb marmalade. Not sure if it was supposed to, but it caramelized beautifully.

So this week you will see me busy in the kitchen, and probably not doing much else in the way of making. Knitting and sewing projects have been pushed aside as I'll be donning that apron until that pantry shelf is full again.



Have a pleasant day all x

17 comments:

  1. Do a trade next year. A share of the jam for free quince pickings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are being so productive in the kitchen, quince jam sounds lovely.
    Your Easter brunch looks so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tania,

    Just wanted to say how much I love your blog. We're going apple picking on the weekend, and I love your idea of using the black'n'ap jam in the pies, I shall be borrowing it!

    Our fruit trees are a couple of years off doing anything productive as well, good thing we're not instant gratification junkies, we'd be climbing the walls!! Still this year there was just a hint of wonderfulness to come (well 5 hints on one apple tree!!), but it was enough.

    Take care
    Cait

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! So productive and those pies look amazing! We have a quince tree and I have yet to make jam. Enjoy x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your pies look fantastic with that homemade pastry! I have a quince but the birds ate the lot this year. I could have cried!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha ha! Just read Andrea's comment and thought it was my own for a minute, they are so similar!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've got rhubarb in the garden that should be put to use before the major frosts hit, the combination with oranges sounds delicious.
    Lovely photos too Tania. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've got rhubarb in the garden that should be put to use before the major frosts hit, the combination with oranges sounds delicious.
    Lovely photos too Tania. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. holy wow! i want to bulk pie make, amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you will need to be making friends with the new tenants of the quince house. They might not even know what gold they have growing in their garden! :)

    Love the look of bulk pie making. Enjoy your week of cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like you have a productive week ahead of you. I've been spending quite a bit of time in the kitchen lately and thorougly enjoying it :)
    I think after seeing all the quince jam/jelly floating around I am going to have to source some, it looks like liquid gold.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Add jam in the pie-making. Genius. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow you've been productive, Tania. It is a great time of year, isn't it? Happy kitchening!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Busy, busy, busy! But, oh what fun and rewarding business!

    I adore having preserves on hand to dole out when a gift is in order. In fact, I did so just this morning.

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh...The pies!!! They look delicious :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. How wonderful to get all those quinces! I've never cooked with them before but love the colour they come up as. Nothing quite as pleasing as a well lined pantry.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A quince tree to forage from...lucky you! I'm starting my apple preserving binge this weekend - fun fun fun.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. If you have any questions please check back later as I will do my best to answer any within the comments section.