Wednesday, April 4, 2012

the granny cabinet

There has been a new little addition to our household of furniture this week. After patiently checking Salvo's for goodness knows how long, I finally stumbled upon this little drinks cabinet. For  $80 and with lots of drawer and some cupboard space it fit the bill rather nicely. And I do have a thing for art deco furniture. The existing table was shifted to the tv area.

But I was alone in my love of the cabinet. Admittedly it was rather scratched and there was a chip in the veneer. But it is a solid piece and with all it's original Bakelite handles in perfect condition.

So I spent the good part of a morning cleaning and polishing with orange oil. The scratches disappeared, but the new marks didn't (we've learnt to never hold down furniture with tape again). But I was quite happy with how it shined up.







It's nice to have a place to put some of my Nanna's pieces. The turquoise vase used to sit by her fireplace facade for as long as I could remember. The little cake plate was, as far as I know, a wedding present.






It has since been dubbed the granny cabinet.




Someone else likes the granny cabinet.

17 comments:

  1. So sweet, it looks lovely.
    Have you tried eucalyptus oil to remove the tape marks? It usually works a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh oh.....you may have to put a ball of blue tack up the top on the glass sliding door to stop it being able to be opened...it wont mark the cabinet. It is gorgeous , absolutely....it is certainly a granny cabinet, I own one too...not the same but a nana cabinet none the less...all those vintage treasures dont look at home in anything else than a granny cabinet....all your bits and pieces look beautiful in it, great buy....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your granny cabinet is gorgeous Tania and perfect for displaying all your vintage treasures.
    I was given a cabinet recently that is wooden with a veneer top, glass doors and glass shelves. Unfortunately it's in a rather shabby condition and will likely have to be patched and painted but I do love it's angles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! Might need to get a bbq wooden shewer or two and put them in the runner like a dowel in a window to stop those little fingers from getting in :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. its a beautiful find tania. i think it looks great especially filled with such lovely wares. i bet it smells good too :) love the handles. xo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's perfect for your home and all your treasures. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love the granny cabinet! Is it a bona fide art deco design? Makes me think of the 1930s. Very lovely indeed!
    ~S.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have a granny cabinet too. It is actually my Granny's cabinet, made by my grandfather, and used to sit in their loungeroom for as long as I can remember. Now it sits in my dining room filled with Granny's tea sets and a few newer additions.

    Yours is lovely! Great find. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's lovely Tania. What a great buy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it. A wonderful find and I'm sure it's going to get a lot of love. Next time you have the urge to rearrange you will have a new spot to begin. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it's very special that you have some of your nana's treasures. I love the turquoise vase. One of my favorite color!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How absolutely stunning! I love it. And am also loving your collection of glassware and vases. I have frosted shot glasses like those! So retro cute.
    What a great find.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's wonderful, and I love that you call it the Granny cabinet.

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh i LOVE the granny cabinet! your treasures look amazing inside. what a beautiful piece of furniture. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Tania, I would love to know the maker of the Turquoise and beige coloured vases. They are so lovely. Am in love with the shape. xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. If you have any questions please check back later as I will do my best to answer any within the comments section.