Thursday, April 5, 2012

the girl with too many hats




Time has flown by this past Summer, and this was a project made in the midst of Summer, that I almost forgot to post about. It just took me quite some time to take the five minutes involved in taking some photos.  Some projects are just plain fun to make, others are made out of necessity. This was definitely a case of the latter. It is not a good thing to be hatless in the harsh sun that we get here. And I do like those necessity projects that take any guilt out of spending the day sewing.

This was taken from the book Little Things to Sew, and is an Oliver + S book. It is the reversible bucket hat in the largest (6-8) size.








I used vintage sheeting and other scraps of vintage and new cotton that I had on hand. I think the mixing and matching of different patterns is my favourite part in the process.

In the end they took about three days of intermittent sewing, production line style. The instructions were very clear, but in all honesty I had a few difficulties in attaching the two different layers of hat together. Despite that, and a few wonky seams as a result, they did sew up quite nicely.

The blue sail boat was intended to be the lining for a blue hat for Luca. But it was a little too small, and actually looked quite ridiculous, so Julia was only too happy to claim it. 









It can be quite satisfying to sew out of necessity, don't you think?

11 comments:

  1. They're very sweet Tania. I love the vintage floral fabrics you've used and I love handmade hats the best. I've made a few now I love them but find them really time consuming with the pattern I have. Is the Oliver and S pattern a quick to sew up hat?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those hats are very sweet and something I find you can never have enough of.
    At the moment I am in the throes of making Kaizer winter pants but am finding it rather frustrating as most of my stash is of the more feminine persuasion and I am reluctant to buy new. Might be time to raid the older boys wardrobe to do a bit of upcycling :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great fabric combos. It's a great hat. I too hat some problems with wonkiness...made me feel like a beginner sewer again in some respects. But it is a great hat, with a deep brim which is perfect. If we could have just had a summer to go with it hey?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhh so cute and I love that style, have you any patterns for an adult version of the same kind of hat, i am looking for a 60's style hat for adults.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous hats and cool fabrics! I've just bought myself a sewing machine, and I'd never thought of making the boys hats before...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the hats! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great hats! How do you find the time?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful looking book, and good job on the hats!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful. Love your work x

    Oh, and thank you for the vest pattern x

    ReplyDelete
  11. The other day, I was visiting the bookstore and I stumble on that book. It's beautiful, full of sweet things to make.
    You are very talented Tanya, those hats are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. If you have any questions please check back later as I will do my best to answer any within the comments section.