Tuesday, April 3, 2012

home whims




Do you know that sudden itch you get to change things around? You decide to re-arrange one (usually dusty) shelf, and before you know it you've swapped around most ornaments in the house. Of course this usually strikes at the most inappropriate of times. Like when you have several loads of washing to hang out. As was the case with me the other day.

These whims are usually met with "Are you really doing that now?" from the hubby. My advice is to not be put off by such negativity.






For I find that when the mood strikes you really just have to go with it. Who knows when the inclination will return?




I find a lot of housework to be like that. With the ordinary daily things such as washing up, tidying, making beds etc, you just go through the motions and do it. But it is different with those other jobs. The ones you might to do seasonally, sometimes annually. Or perhaps you have yet several years go by. Like I did with my fabric stash. It was sadly overflowing and in several rooms. But after a days work (on and off), it is a far smaller pile, neatly stacked in a shelf in the cupboard and in the suitcases in my sewing room.





There is nothing like the peace of mind after you get one of those jobs done that you have put off for a long, long time.





How about you? Do you get stuck into these jobs at the appropriate time or do you wait for the mood to strike?

18 comments:

  1. Same here - always want to do fun things like redecorating when I should be doing something else- makes it more fun I think- guilty pleasures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel a bit of a rearrange of a few surfaces is needed around my house. A few new op-shopped pieces are always pretty inspiring for this I find. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, I only like to do things when the mood strikes! For one you always do a better job and two, why put yourself through doing heaps of things you dont want to do?? Lifes to short! (Its where the name JaxFancy comes from, I only make what I fancy :)

    Jacq

    ReplyDelete
  4. Only when the mood strikes, which unfortunately isn't very often.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There has been a fair bit of rearranging going on around here...I tend to do it every month or so and the mood always strikes as the most inappropriate of times but I just go with it. The housework? Well that can always wait for another day :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nah, I dont have a set time either...I am a sort of fly by the seat of my rather large pants type of girl, so I can be found rearanging stuff, when I should be cooking dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i do this most school holidays when home with the kids. i love a bit of tidy up and re-arranging. it makes me feel good. i love your aged books and the gorgeous floral colours in the third photo. enjoy your day. xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree. You have to do these big jobs when the mood strikes! Most of the time I am overwhelmed by major cleaning, organizational and gardening tasks, but then I get a surge of energy and there you have it. Job done. It is a great feeling!

    I love your stack of books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Am laughing out loud!!! Just yesterday I sorted through all of my clothes - and yes I had three loads of washing to hang out. Only took about an hour, and now am sorted.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I decided to do random jobs at completely crazy time - eg midnight when I have to be up in the morning and I'm left with piles of stuff all over the bed or kitchen table.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm the same, i will start doing something small and next thing i know im overhauling the room lol. Such a refreshing feeling getting it all done though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. All these glimpses of your home are so beautiful. Those mushrooms are just gorgeous! I'm the same as you - always starting big tasks at strange/inappropriate times!

    Katie x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wait for the mood to strike!!! I am soooo much like that :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh yes! I'm very much like that! I like to think I have a plan for everything, but when I plan to clean a room it hardly works out as well as when the mood strikes ;)
    -Jaime

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is the same for me. And you are so very right. When the mood strikes you just should go with it!

    Those mushroom needlework are AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yep, I'm exactly the same. It feels so good afterwards, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I adore the cross stitched mushrooms! I truly have a "thing" for mushrooms...your home is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love it when I get the inspiration to move things around. It often hits late at night or when it is very hot. Poor husband.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. If you have any questions please check back later as I will do my best to answer any within the comments section.