Wednesday, November 2, 2011

auction!

The weekend before last we attended our very first rural auction. Who knew these things were such huge social and buying events? Need lunch? Coffee? All there too. For a price of course. There was a massive shed full of tools (I walked quickly through that),  paddocks full of very old cars and machinery and a yard full of old rustic furniture. I spent quite a bit of time there.

Unfortunately I didn't bring my camera. A baby sling, coffee in hand and a hot day would have made it near impossible. So we registered, got our number and waited. In fact, most of the auction was spent waiting. Fortunately there were plenty of old rustic chairs to sit on.

For an inexperienced bidder, Daniel picked it up very quickly. Most bidding involved merely nodding. Daniel did so well that he won most of the items he bid on. Sometimes paying a little more than he'd originally planned. That competitive streak came out just a little.


Our biggest buy of the day was an old table.  There was some pretty tough competition on this one. You may have known from previous posts about my lack of love for our current getting-too-small, bought secondhand about four years ago table. This one looks to have had some vinyl (this was usually a 50's addition) stuck to the top at some stage, so it needs a very good sanding to the top. I am thinking beeswax over this? Oh, but I do love this table!


Next was an old swivel office chair. Also quite popular with the bidders. Our old office chair had literally fallen apart so we had our eye out for some time to replace it. This chair is just so comfy.


An old chair for my sewing table was also picked up. The leather seat is rather ruined so I've popped a sheepskin over it. The middle spindle needs to be re-attached with glue. Daniel doesn't particularly like the chair. I think he thinks it falls into the "too far gone" category. But I quite like it's old rustic appeal and chipped paint. They certainly don't make 'em like that anymore.


And lastly, a set of Salter scales. For a long time I've admired these type of old scales. I gave Daniel a lowish set price on these, and walked out of the crowd. The bidding went way over that amount and Daniel told me later that he was not about to let "that old lady" outbid him. So here they are. Pride of place in the kitchen. Sometimes these men surprise you!

It was certainly an experience and there are definitely bargains to be had (or not!). But we are a little more confident now, and know more about how the whole process works.

Do you go to auctions? Do you get carried away or do you set your price and stick to it?

22 comments:

  1. Well, my my, what treasures you picked yourself up there... I can see the smile on your face... :)I've always wanted to go to those auctions as well, but my hubby doesn't sounds as patient as yours!! Lucky duck! I love the old chairs, and table and scales!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just don't get addicted! We go to many clearing sales, some have great finds, others are full of junk. On a perfect day, they are lots of fun...on a hot day theya re hard work! Good finds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fantastic finds, congrats on winning them! I love them all, mostly the table and the wooden chair, (and no way is it 'too far gone,') I think it's gorgeous! I haven't been to any live auctions since I was a kid. only trade me, and with that I do a 'auto bid' and don't look again until the auction is finished!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that table! I don't know if I could handle auctions, I get carried away with ebay bidding!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a great auction. i love the table and what a sweet husband to win the bid on the scales. they are so cool. xo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving the table, yes I think a good sand and some beeswax would bring the top up nicely (in a lovely rustic way). I did auctions quite some years back when I was beginning to furnish a house and had a few good buys. I tend to stay away these days because I'd only find stuff I don't really need!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been so waiting for this post :) I have not ever attended an auction but found out recently that we have a great one right here were I live...I think I would be like Daniel though and that competitive streak would rear it's head :)
    My dad is big on auctions, attends them all the time for various things and has also managed to pick up some pretty neat stuff.
    Great finds Tania...I think Daniel and I would have gone head to head for all of these.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great haul! Love them all! That table is great, the colour and shape of the legs is fab.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous, I love the contents of your home, esp. the kitchenwares!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOOOOOVE the table! I am doing up an old table and chairs at the moment and I constantly find myself wondering about the family/families who once used it! You have a very special piece of history there! Great finds, maybe I will give our local auctions a go! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow-ee you hit the jackpot!!! Love that swivel chair! I've never been to a country auction like that before, but I think i would love it xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Some beautiful things Tania, I'd use bees wax for sure, I've used it on quite a few things and I love the feel of it, not to mention the smell. I love the idea of going to an auction, sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What fabulous finds! And what a sweetie bidding on those scales for you...he "says" it was because of the old biddy but I don't doubt he just wanted to spoil you. Enjoy that yummy new table :) x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like Daniel enjoyed doing the bidding, it's even a better feeling when you win...

    Love all the great things that you picked up, especially the table, I would dearly love one of those.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love them so much my heart races just thinking about it!! I have never been to a rural auction but there was a fab one in Freo that I used to frequent every Thursday night. I have scored many a bargain over the years. LOVE THEM! Your table is pure joy. Can not wait to see how it scrubs up. Beautiful details on your sewing chair. How much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful wins Love that swivel chair especially.
    I havnt been to an auction for years.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great auction - your sure won some gorgeous things. The table will look lovely with a beeswax polish.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous treasures tania. i've picked up my favourite pieces at auction. i always put in an absentee bid though, because being there with the kids is all too hard (and then there is not temptation for me to get caught up in the moment and get carried away!!) xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Whoops I am new to this & put comments in the wrong section .. I think ??
    Loved your auction purchases especially your beautiful chair.
    You are an inspiration & have given me a "kick in the rear"to get on as well .
    Love your St George stove never ever let it go ... if you would like some information on St George please let me know :)♥

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have never been to an auction, garage sales are more my scene, you found some great things though!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love that table, the colour of the legs is beautiful. And that yellow chair- I would totally have been sucked in by it as well, shape and colour. The auction looks intimidating but also a lot of fun. melx

    ReplyDelete
  22. I get to these whenever I can, but having babies leaves me months where I have not been able to go...the thrill of the bidding is intoxicating to me , almost addictive and I certainly do get carried away with the whole country bidding process..I come home on a high with a car loaded up with treasures...the crappier the better for me and all the beautiful china to sell on my website...I certainly do love a sale thats for sure.....its such a 'day out'.......I love the pieces you picked up on this day...I hope you have been able to get to more of those sales since then....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. If you have any questions please check back later as I will do my best to answer any within the comments section.