Thursday, October 11, 2012

a 50's style dress



Do you remember the sudden explosion of 50's style dresses a few years back? Okay, more than a few years back. I loved them, and they loved my pear-shapedness back. There were so many pretty variations around that I went a little crazy and virtually filled my wardrobe with them in the summer of 2006. Since then I've always looked for the elusive 50's style dress as my others became too worn and torn or simply didn't fit anymore.

So it was with all this in mind that I decided to go a little out of my depth in the sewing department, and tackle this slightly more complicated fitted waist style. I'd had New Look 6805 (which may be out of print because I was unable to find it on their website) sitting around for longer than I care to admit. An optimistic purchase, that had taken quite a lot of time to even work up the courage to figure out how much fabric I would need.







But as it turns out, I didn't really need to worry too much about the fabric. I happened to find a rather large stash of a lovely cotton or cotton blend at the local op shop. Soft but with a structured, tightly woven feel, perhaps some sewers out there may know more about?

I chose view C, cut out the 12, but ended up with a lot of unpicking and sizing down in some areas. At some stages I wondered if anything would ever come of this mess that was around me. But I find when things get too tough, I'm learning not to press on with it. Leave it and come back. It seems to right itself in the end this way. Sometimes you just need fresh eyes.

I ended up creating a centre seam in the back, as on reading up on the pattern, a gaping back tended to be a fault with the pattern. And my dress certainly did gape. I made it a little shorter than the pattern, following my usual rule of higher neck shorter hemline.

The bodice I lined in vintage sheeting, picking up on the purple in the geometric pattern.







My pleats aren't perfect and I ended up with two broken zippers (I found this company online, finding every type of zipper there, and with quick delivery), and as it is my zipper is a little wonky (my fault) , but I'm overall quite happy with this dress.

I've already worn it several times, and it passes the out and about comfort test with flying colours. Always important for whether I will reach for an outfit or not. Comfort is a little more important these days when you are running around after a toddler.

But it's all a learning progress of trial and error, but I'm actually starting to enjoy the challenge. My only regret is that I didn't attempt it sooner.



 


It's nice to have a new 50's dress.


(Apologies for the grainy, rainy day shots and the smudgy eyes taken at the end of a long day!)







33 comments:

  1. clever girl. Love the fabric and such a flattering fit and style.

    cheers Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dress is beautiful and you look stunning Tania, well done on tackling a tricky project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love its style, so simple yet timeless, lovely colour too. Enjoyed your blog so much i've just subscribed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should be immensely proud, it is stunning. In fact I think you could have another couple now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great dress...fabric, style, all of it and you my dear send it over the top...just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I was that clever Tania. The dress looks great.

    I've just been given a basic sewing machine for my birthday, but seeing as I haven't sewn since I was a kid, I think it will be some time before I will be able to do much with it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. such a great dress cut, well done you! and if that's you at the end of the day...you seem to be missing your stained trackies and slipper socks. wait. is that just me? love the new summery header, too ;)sarah

    ReplyDelete
  8. ooo, I've been debating giving a certain dress pattern a try... you might have just inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous dress Tania.....glad you kept going with it...a little bit retro...lovin the print!

    You look so much like your kids in that photo :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Its beautiful Tania, I love the oppy fabric you found too, what a great colour.
    I must get round to sewing some of the projects I have patterns for, you have inspired me to pull one out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The perseverence was well worth it. You look amazing in the dress.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done, the 50's style really suits you. Fabric is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The dress is gorgeous Tania and such a great cut on you. My SchoolHouse tunic pattern arrived the other day. I'm a beginner sewer but I'm determind to do it - I don't mind if it takes months! I am however predicting a few tears and possible tantrums (from me) when tackling it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bravo! It looks fantastic!! Good on you for persevering...very inspirational. And the fact you found gorgeous fabric in the oppie is a brilliant bonus. Other than your time (and perhaps a few tears or hair pulling sessions) it probably cost next to nothing. Looks a million dollars though. Have a great day :) x

    ReplyDelete
  15. No apologies Tania! You look lovely. Your dress is sensational and I love that you used a vintage sheet to line it. Well done with tackling the gaping back (I freak out if patterns make you free style to correct). I'm impressed to get out my long-bought-patterns-but-too-scared-to-attempt, and just give it a crack! 50's dresses are so feminine and they do indeed suit you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are gorgeous and that dress would tempt me to get out my jeans and frock up for a bit! Well done, now you've made one the skys the limit...

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is lovely on you. It looks quite similar to Simplicity 2444 which is also a great pattern (I made it for my birthday in some crazy eiffel tower fabric!.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely dress and you look great with smudgy eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have been featuring 50's dresses this week on my blog. Tomorrow nights post will have a fashion parade planned.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The dress has come up beautifully and is very flattering. The belt is a great touch. The colours compliment each other. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The dress really suits you. You look fantastic Tania. I like the colors and the design of the dress. It's cool to my eyes.

    stretch hummer hire sydney

    ReplyDelete
  22. i love this dress Tania! Like you I love a good 50's style dress to suit my pear shape! I have a Lisette patter waiting for me to get stuck into! I love your fabric, and good on you for sticking at it! It's the best reward getting out and about in something you've made! Enjoy it xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. That dress is incredible - I've not been brave enough yet to tackle a 50s dress yet but you have inspired me to try!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks great. Wish i could sew like that.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Tania, you really are amazing with everything you do!!

    The rainbow photo is amazing too. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  26. I turned out fabulous and I am ever so excited for you having just finished a dress of my own which also passes the out and about test! Hooray for awesome homemade dresses! That fabric is wonderful! What a find!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your dress looks fabulous!
    Great job.
    I also liked the lovely feature of the vintage fabric on the inside bodice.
    It feels so wonderful to have customised, bespoke clothing!
    Enjoy wearing it often.....

    ReplyDelete
  28. Well done, the dress looks very flattering and a great fit. I love this style of dress too , I am also a little pear like, seems so daunting for a beginner sewer though. Looking forward to seeing what you whip up next. mel x

    ReplyDelete
  29. I LOVE it!! You're such a beautiful model for it too :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. If you have any questions please check back later as I will do my best to answer any within the comments section.