Tuesday, October 9, 2012

indisposed

There were a great many things I had in my head that I wanted to get done this week. Apart from the usual keeping the house clean, keeping up with the washing (a challenge in itself with this rain), I'd also wanted to tackle those kitchen cupboards. In a little leisure time I was hoping to finish a dress I'm sewing, and make some good progress on a knitted vest. Oh, and get some seeds into the garden to make the most of this wet weather.

But apart from keeping the house tidy, I haven't really been able to do any of that. At the moment most of my time, (and a few sleepless nights),  has been taken by a toddler with a cold. And a grumpy little one at that. So things to do have been left for another day. I've been sitting on the lounge a lot. Reading stories over and over. Doing essential housework with one hand, and guiltily resorting to the dvd player more often than usual.


But it's okay. Fortunately Violet's cold is a minor one, and she seems a little brighter and happier today. Being forced to slow down is not always a bad thing in the scheme of things. Accepting that I can't always plan (and a very rough plan at that) my days or weeks. It's a small lesson in patience for me. Life does what it wants to do, particularly life with kids.





14 comments:

  1. John Lennon once said, "life is what happens while you're busy making other plans." Very true, esoecially when you have children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some Vicks on the bottom of the feet and then put some socks over the top may give some relief to your little one at night time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes our best laid plans go by the wayside and that is okay, slowing down is good. Hope Violet is feeling better soon.
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Michelle's comment.
    I hope Violet feels better soon. She looks all snuggly tucked up in bed.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. The closer bond that's forming between you too while you nurse her back to good health is certainly worth it but yes, it does take a lot of time. The sitting on the comfy couch makes up for the interrupted sleep. Hope she feels better soon!
    Try some eucalyptus oil dropped on her pillow to help clear the stuffy nose while sleeping.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know what you mean Tania...i have one twin with a vomiting bug this week and the other is demanding just as much attention unfortunately!
    We have been sitting a lot too which is actually sometimes nice although dinner has become a bit hit and miss!
    The steam vaporizer is my best friend when the girls have colds! Hope she feels better soon x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor Violet, poor you, it's hard when little ones are sick isn't it. My baby is now 10 so illness is less demanding now. Don't worry about all those plans take it easy look after her, and yourself or the next thing you know you will be unwell! By the way I actually looked in detail at you blog header picture today - it is stunning! xxBrenda

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so hard when the wee ones are sick. Every plan etc just goes out the window. Last week of the school holidays here. I decided to just try and keep up with the washing and keep the kitchen tidy - anything else can wait. Elaina xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry little Violet has been ill. But what a precious way to spend your days.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope your little one gets better soon. It's always stressful when they are young. I have a 21yr old and he still is a pain in the proverbial when he gets a bad cold!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just a note of caution about your previous post and your young children tasting cow manure.
    Cattle have worms, the eggs of those worms are passed out in the manure. Those eggs can remain dormant in the manure, which although appears to be dried or composting still harbours worm eggs.
    We worm our cows regularly but definitely wouldn't let our children eat the manure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Poor poppet! Nasty old cold, glad to hear she is on the mend. I love the way children still photograph so beautifully, even when sick. Not at all like us adults, well myself in particular! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. If you have any questions please check back later as I will do my best to answer any within the comments section.