Thursday, October 25, 2012

bare essentials





Sometimes it's good to give yourself permission to take the week a little slower. There is always so much to do out here. Outside, inside. Projects to be started and projects to be finished. When it comes to home things to do are a constant.

After the preparation and time spent away for even just a weekend, usually means I try to take things slowly for a week. After the unpacking, the inevitable washing that comes with going away, and the catching up on paperwork , well, it can leave me feeling quite tired.

So I'm slowly getting through the washing and doing the essentials that need to be done. I've baked bread and scones, but nothing else. I made a meat and vegetable soup that lasted two nights. The paperwork and school notes are up to date. I've done a mini shop, but not the usual big, full trolley shop.

There are many, many things that need to be done, particularly in the garden. But in the scheme of things one weeks delay will not do much harm.

Often it's a constant juggle, and though we're the sort of people that don't like to be "busy", life often has other ideas. At times though, it is a good thing to leave what is not necessary, to focus on the bare essentials. Even for just a week. Just to let yourself recharge a little.

11 comments:

  1. wise words and a great motto for life.

    cheers Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree - and next week I'm working just 3 days and then will have 4 days away from my job and I am so looking forward to it. I just need a break and my house needs my attention as well as the yard. I'll be off work but not FREE of work but it will be work for us not someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well said Tan....we've been taking it slowly this week too ensuring that besides the necessary, all other things are just put off. Afternoons have been spent mostly at home, baking and nurturing. Your photos look very relaxed and harmonious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely! Take it slow. Slowing down is good, sometimes even more productive somehow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your thinking, very much....the world still turns with whatever is happening inside our home and garden, so if I want to go slow I do..........

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amen to that! Good reminder for me too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally agree Tania. I'm not sure life was meant to be as busy as we have made it, and often a lot of the busyness is totally unnecessary really. Some slow living in amongst the hussle is good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A great reminder to us all Tania...thank you as i was feeling much the same way about this week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. love your geum flowers if that's what they are, tried to grow it once but it didn't like me, might have to have another go :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. so beautifully put. we had a travelling weekend and i am still struggling to pick up from it! maybe a bit of slow today. :)sarah

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. If you have any questions please check back later as I will do my best to answer any within the comments section.