Monday, May 21, 2012

..





Hello.


I've been away for a little bit. We got back at midnight on Saturday after spending time with family in the Southern Highlands and Kiama, and of course, Pop's funeral in Sydney.

I wanted to say a warm thank you to all those that left condolences last week. Each and every one was so very much appreciated.

We stayed in Pop's house. As neat, tidy and functional as it always was. Just as if he stepped out for a minute.

We survived the trip into Sydney, and I've decided I don't like tunnels, and where did all that non-peak hour traffic come from anyhow? I never remembered such traffic. My palms were sweating by the time we pulled into the quiet and peaceful suburb of La Perouse, and I wasn't even the one driving.

Things went as well as they could have though. My uncle talked about Pop's life. About him meeting my grandmother while she was backpacking around Europe and following her halfway across the world. About being rejected as a "ten pound pom" because his blood pressure was too high. About how his proudest career moment as a town planner was helping save the historic buildings of Windsor from the developers.

 At the last minute I was asked to recite a poem that was left with Pop's paperwork. Public speaking does not come easily to me, but I managed it, and felt that I had contributed in a small way.

We found my grandmothers plaque and the reserved space beside hers. They will be together again after half a lifetime apart.

During the next few days we visited family. We visited our old areas that were becoming run down, but still comfortingly familiar. Our old life and our current life felt like worlds apart.

I think though, as we drove into a our gate that night, we were most grateful to be home. Home to the quiet. Home to the cold. Home to the comforting feel of flannel sheets and thick doonas.


And life goes on.

Despite flat feelings.

Despite deeper thoughts about life.

Despite endings.

18 comments:

  1. Love today's picture....I want one of those globes and ships...Thom would love them.

    Funerals are hard, so very reflective and the fact that you got to glimpse your past can be overwhelming. They say that you can never go back, I tried but it just never worked. The good thing is that you come to the realization that you have forged your own family and made your own life...the season of change

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life is full of lessons, many of them difficult. And I admire the grace and honesty with which you seem to handle such difficulties. Despite endings life goes on and there is much beauty. Hope more finds you these coming weeks. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog and your honesty..just felt the need to send you a hug!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does go on. But his life and love goes on through you, and your kids too. How lucky that in his lifetime, he had such love and such wonderful people in it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hugs to you. Funerals are so hard to deal with and the life reflection that comes with them just overwhelms you sometimes. I think though, they do make your grateful for what you have, grateful for the life you live with your family and proud too of what you have made of your life. Your Pop would be smiling down on you, so proud of your family.
    Chin up and take it easy :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Be kind to yourself in the coming days..and weeks. You deserve a few indulgences and quiet moments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love and hugs to you and your family xxx. Kate

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sending you hugs Tania...funerals are always hard especially with family in tow.
    I can't handle driving in Sydney, can't believe people go through that every day...such stress!!
    Hope you enjoy a warm and comforting week ahead xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lovely post today Tania :)

    Lots of love to you all xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry for your loss. Your words here are beautiful and so true. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, it does go on. And it's way too short. Reflection is a good thing, go easy and be kind to yourself. ((Hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful post, Tania:) Thinking of you x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope that it was a helpful time, with the funeral and loved ones.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Welcome back, your pop's life sounds like it was an amazing one, hold him close to your heart and carry on - it's what he would have wanted xxBrenda

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry to read of your Pop's passing. He would have been proud of you having the courage to speak before a group of people at his funeral. Take care x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've just stumbled upon your blog and am loving it. It resonates even more strongly now having read about your pop and him being a town planner and saving Windsor. I grew up near Windsor and am a town planner too - living in Canberra now.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. If you have any questions please check back later as I will do my best to answer any within the comments section.