Tuesday, September 27, 2011

frugal flowers









Raiding the branches of street trees has become my favourite way of decorating the house with flowers. Though a "cutting garden" would be ideal, our garden is just too new and up to this stage the practical side has won out over the ornamental. For the cost of nothing except a little time there are fresh flowers for almost every room of the house.

I gathered these crab apple and elm (thanks to your helpful comments) blossoms on a recent walk. Perhaps its best not to mention that I almost crossed paths with a brown snake on the road. Thank goodness for the local farmer who spotted it before I did. I was in day-dreamy collecting flowers mode.

Many of my branches were only budding when picked, but if you change the water daily or every second day you should be rewarded with a full branch of blossoms. In the last picture you can see several days later that the buds have opened. I won't be winning any flower arranging prizes, but it is so uplifting to have flowers in the house.

12 comments:

  1. Perfect - lucky you to have street trees to raid. It will be a few years before mine are ready for this treatment although the lilac is just coming out...

    ReplyDelete
  2. your photos are really lovely miss, your family is lucky to have someone making the house feel so special x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to do the same thing at the moment Tania, apart from self seeded Nasturtians (which I love) there is not alot of pretty in our current garden.
    Your house looks lovely with all the bits you've found and I love the pile of vintage towels in the third pic, I buy them whenever I come across them too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your arrangements look perfect:) I love all of your glass bottles lined up. I think these look beautiful and feel lovely and homely. I'm glad the farmer was close by to warn you about the snake too, I don't like snakes at all. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is gorgeous. i was actually stopping myself on the way home today to raid a tree but got distracted with the kids. have reminded myself to do it tomorrow. love your flower finds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely and cheerful blooms - so much easier to enjoy them when they are brought indoors!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tania what are those green flowers do you know? I have some on a standard weeping tree in my yard and am wondering what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We think they are elm trees. Ours are still fairly small in comparison to how big they eventually grow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love to have fresh flowers in my home...that's my one guilty indulgence when I do the shopping...to throw a bunch in although after reading your link about the ethics of buying flowers it's made me think twice.

    When we did the market recently we drove past a blossom tree that reminded me of you...I so desperately wanted to ask my friend to stop so I could grab a few branches but sadly I didn't.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Tania! With that info and help from Google I now know that we have a weeping elm :)My kids call it the hiding tree as the go in under the canopy in Summer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nothing beats freshly picked flowers. Pure happiness
    x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. If you have any questions please check back later as I will do my best to answer any within the comments section.