Wednesday, June 22, 2011

rainy day


I had an enjoyable mid-weekish rest with hubby taking the kids to school. Soon afterwards the wind began howling and the rain started to fall. I wore my dressing gown until ten o'clock. The daggy one. Why are the daggiest ones the most comfortable? Anyway, I pottered around, popped some soup into the slow cooker and enjoyed three cups of English breakfast tea. In a row.



The usual chores were still there,  but on a rainy day it seems fitting to go with a slower pace. On a rainy day, there is no washing to be hung out, so I just feel that little bit less rushed. More time for other things.


Mum used to sometimes buy Top Taste madeira cake when I was a kid. This CWA recipe sultana cake reminds me very much of that rich cake.


Experimental "sour dough" bread with my feijoa jam. Experimenting in that I leave the no knead dough out for 48 hours or so and it bubbles up and becomes a little sour dough-like. Holes and all.



I also attempted  to learn to knit in the round. Let's just say there's been a lot of unraveling going on. I'm hoping to get a pair of these made for Violet in the not too distant future. A project in between projects. With the little cardigan finished (more on that tomorrow) I'm pondering which yarn and project to try next. Any ideas? What is on your needles right now?

Hoping that you all have a wonderful Wednesday.

11 comments:

  1. I love those stripey tights on ravelry! I looked for you on there, i'm under Squiggly Rainbow...

    I can't knit in the round yet - I bought a circular needle, I might attempt something again soon. Or not. I'm knitting a cowl at the moment, loving the Noro yarns.
    Rach x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes the slower pace of a rainy day - bliss.

    I think I am going to attempt your sourdough method...since you shared your bread recipe that is the only one I use now, though I do knead it :) Did you just leave it out as an actual dough?

    The legwarmers are adorable. I have just come across a crochet pair that I want to try...as for other yarny projects, I have a few on the go at the moment :)

    Am going to send you an email Tania.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tammi, I just left the bowl on the bench with the dough in it as opposed to putting it in the fridge. I find I have to add quite e bit of flour to mould it into shape. Only discovered because I had no room left in the fridge when I did a double batch :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. 3 cups of tea in a row - hot I presume? Pure bliss in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no! Get yourself some circular knitting needles. Sooooo much easier. How cute are little Violet's leggies going to be in those warmers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The circular knitting looks far too complicated! I don't think I would attempt it. However, tea and cake sound much more appealing :) p.s the yoghurt machine was a cheapy one with no temperature dial. Just plug it in and leave it for 7/8 hours...c'est tout!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could sit and drink tea and more tea these days too ... I am knitting a cardigan but have reached the part where I need to decrease and keep track of what I'm doing .. So I haven't picked it up for a few days now! Circular knitting is on my to do list ... One day ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I long for a rainy day soon, to spend inside in our hut. I won't mind at all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've just started a knitting club...and I'm just getting back into the swing of things as I haven't knitted for years...so a funny little 'sampler' - a mix of purl & knit stitches, some ribbing and moss stitch - is all you'll find on my needles :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi
    all your pictures looking warm and cosy.i love knitting in the round,it's so easy.
    greetings,regina

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loving you pictures too - so homey and lovely. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. If you have any questions please check back later as I will do my best to answer any within the comments section.